littlest bird's story

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 1 - 2PM
littlestbird
littlestbird's picture

littlest bird's story

when i met him, he seemed so into me. i was into him like mad. he seemed so kind, almost to the point of benevolence. he projected an image of a true humanitarian, someone who cared deeply about people and the nature of the world. we had a long distance courtship, while i was away from home doing service work, and he was out of the country studying. we talked on the phone every day for 3 months, until finally he took me by surprise by coming to visit me. it was like a honeymoon. he then proceeded to take a 2 month long bike trip by himself - a trip that he made seem like an almost spiritual quest. it was in both our minds that upon the end of his trip, we would reunite, and it would be wonderful. it was shocking for me to discover that shortly after our reunion, he started to seem disinterested in me, particularly as he witnessed my difficultly adjusting back at home. i thought it was to be expected, as i had fallen into an awful living situation for myself, one that i had not fully anticipated. i was devastated when he began to tell me things like, "you better start kicking some ass at life and doing yourself some favors, otherwise this isn't going to work." i was baffled at his inability to even remotely sympathize with my feelings of being stuck and afraid, and his lack of empathy greatly influenced my emotional well-being from then on. when i would cry, he would tell me how unattractive i was, and why would he want to hug me. he would make fun of me in front of his family, friends, and my friends, and tell me i was wrong to have the feelings i did when i expressed being hurt. he would reduce me to a cute puppy, and that's the way he liked me. i am a slightly melancholy albeit intelligent and artistic person, and this kind of reduction pained me on a deep level: why couldn't we have that simple love from the beginning? what happened? where was the true connection that i thought i had felt? slowly it became a cycle of my feelings being hurt, and him being simply annoyed at me all the time. i felt like nothing around him, like a fly buzzing around his head. i would try to express myself to him and he would tell me i was creeping him out, or he would just ignore me and talk about something completely unrelated (about himself of course). i have been raped in the past, and once we were watching a rape scene in a movie, and i got upset. he yelled, "god, i can't even watch a MOVIE with you." he had lots of friends who were girls, and he loved to go for lunch with them, so they could listen to him. sometimes i wonder if he cheated. he never showed interest in getting to know my family or friends, he took me into his world but only in certain circumstances or around specific "friends". he stopped touching me in ways that were tender... but sometimes he would slap me on the back as if to say "buck up champ". ... he acted so smooth and charming in front of others, and when we were in public, i found myself playing the game. the game felt good in public, but it was hell in private. he used to say he never wanted to be one of those couples that fight in public, or display PDA. it felt like a big show. i felt like a puppet. when i deviated from the show, he seemed from uninterested to angry. i was robbed of my own thoughts, opinions, and feelings. i was emotionally abused. i started to self-harm in front of him when he was being so cold and distant, because i felt so alone. he would watch me hit myself, staring blankly, or he would chuckle after i was exhausted, sneering that "i hope you learned your lesson, i really don't care that it hurts." i ended up in counseling, and after two months, the counselor recommended a book for me on how to cope with narcissists. my friend had thought he was a narcissist (and she even thought sociopath) for a while... but i had been in denial; where was that kind, magnanimous, tender man i had met long ago? he doesn't exist. i am pretty sure he is a cerebral narcissist.

May 1 - 4PM
littlestbird
littlestbird's picture

also

...I want to add that he also was very good at making me believe he cared...even though he didn't...just by using the "L" word (love) or by using a sweet baby voice and telling me superficial things like, "take care of yourself". On the flip side, he would tell me very straight-forwardly that he could not "be there for me" ... that i had to "be there for myself" ... but he always enjoyed my "being there" for him. if he wanted to cuddle, we cuddled. if he wanted sex, we had sex. if he wanted to see me, i was there, and if he didn't want to see me, he would rudely let me know that he didn't. we he was sick, i took care of him. when he was well and happy and had great ideas to share, i listened and applauded him. if i ever dared venture to express my *own* opinion about something he cared about, he would quickly shut me up, reminding me that i don't know what i am talking about (i didn't have the background or knowledge to be speaking on subject 'x')... when all i wanted was to enjoy life in a balanced relationship and grow together, he thought i was unhappy because of reasons *he* invented. when i would tell him, "no, THIS is why i am unhappy" he would directly negate my statement: basically the message was, "you don't know what you think or feel - but I do and i will tell you." he used to joke about how he was "always right". when he decided we would have a "discussion," we would. he would talk at me, like a judge. he would make me sit politely and speak with no emotion. to him, emotions were bad. then he would use his logic to turn whatever i was saying into whatever he wanted. he would criticize me relentlessly, make things up, deny things he had said or did. he made me feel like i was going insane. when i finally had a breaking point, he begged me back. i was so emotionally thrown i didn't know what to do, but slowly, as i missed "him", i crawled back (after he manipulated me into believing things would change, talking to me about these visions he had for us). once i was securely his "girlfriend" again, the same old shit happened. again. he was impatient, easily angered, self-centered, and i felt reduced to - what? - again. and all he would say was *it hurts my feelings that you still doubt my love...when will the fact that i love you be enough for you?* and anyway, you have hurt me too, he would go on to say. "how?" i would ask. "if you don't even know, that just makes it hurt even more"... he never did tell me how, only claiming when i was mopey, i was "toxic" to be around, and how i disrespected him by going to my friends and family for support about everything, marring his reputation. finally now, he "dumps" me (one of many "fake break ups") where I had been feeling bad and he points out blankly that "you know, you just don't make me happy" (as if i was put on this Earth to serve him). every time before, i have gone back... but not this time. to my surprise, in public, as he spoke calmly about how as "i get better" (because i am the crazy one) i will realize that i "never wanted it to begin with" ... i punched him in the face. i wanted that beautiful relationship so badly! but it was all fake! i feel like such a fool. such a miserable fool. after i punched him i realized i have a lot of pent up anger and things to work out. i can't listen to him tell me things in such a calm voice that are so obviously wrong to me.
May 2 - 1PM (Reply to #3)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Welcome littlestbird

Welcome... - get a copy of Lisa's book (link at right) - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - PLEASE read the SHARE YOUR STORY section extensively. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do. Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. - institute ABSOLUTE NO CONTACT immediately with this predator - PLEASE read through our whole My Blog section: http://allabouthim.com - chock full of articles about Ns and healing - this will answer many of your questions and should be done before you start posting. please read the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim - Please remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a trauma therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD he's left you with and the deprogramming you need. ~~~~~~~~~ Moving Forward: Coaching for Victims Pathologicals Feelings buried alive never die. - Alice Miller
May 1 - 5PM (Reply to #2)
Introspection
Introspection's picture

Don't take his calls, emails, texts, etc

They have this way to getting the best of us...until they make us break. Stay away from him and read your post over and over again so that you realize that you were in an abusive relationship because the beginning of all healing starts with the understanding that they are no good for us. Many of us prolong our healing when we insist on hanging on to a relationship with these monsters. Although we are amazed about what they put us through and intellectually we understand that it is not good for us...we continue to hold hope. You need to go no contact!!! Obviously, the fact that you were so upset that you ended up punching his face (I am certain that you suprised yourself when you did this), should be a loud and clear message to you that he is not good for you. Stay away and loose him...don't take his calls, emails, texts, etc and do not grow weak and go back to him. He does not love you, never has and never will. He has an inabililty to love! Read other poster's stories on this forum and you'll begin to realize one thing...all our stories always end up in LEAVING them and never going back. You will not find one story where the N was cured and they lived happily ever after. Welcome littlebird and you are amongst a support group that intimately understands what you are going through.