Dana's Story

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 25 - 10AM
Dana
Dana's picture

Dana's Story

I left my Ex-husband eight years ago with my then three year old little son after a brutal 9 ½ years of marriage.

Here is a list of some of the things my ex husband has done to me over the years:
He refuses to acknowledge his abusive behavior.
He forced me out of bed many when I was asleep to rage at me in the middle of the night.
He told me I’m not allowed to sleep in a bed.
He told me that I was not allowed to go to school.
He told me that he wasn’t going to pay for my clothing.
He took our savings and bought himself a BMW without asking or even telling me.
He hit me, slapped me, spit on me, choked me, pulled my hair and destroyed my property.
He kicked me in the stomach while I was throwing up while I had a migraine.
He often screamed directly in my face.
He threw a wood puzzle at me while I was holding Jacob and hit Jacob with the wooden puzzle on his shoulder as I was turning to try to shield our son.
He often tried to intimidate me by aggressively pushing the furniture around.
He waved a kitchen knife at me and told me he was going to stab me to death with it.
He told me that he was going to hire someone to slit my throat.
He threatening to kill me if I ever dared to contact your family after I file for divorce.
Once he refused to bring me a glass of water when I was so sick and weak I ended up having to literally crawl to the bathroom and drink some water out of the bathroom sink.
He often told me that I’m a moron (once 12 times in one day. Yes, I actually counted.)
He accused me of sleeping with other men.
He would often freeze me out and refusing to talk to me.
Once when my son was a baby and my ex was out of town, my baby got very sick with a high temperature. When I called my ex and told him how worried I was, he laughing at me.
He often called me a bitch, a loser, a liar and crazy.
He would become enraged at me when ever I wanted to do anything for anyone else (Example: When I baby-sat for our friends.)
He would often tell me that I was incapable of earning a living.
He blocked my car with his car, preventing me from going to school.
He took my car keys so that I couldn’t go to work and I had to cancel my appointments.
He told me that all our friends think I’m crazy.
He refused to clean up after himself or help with any housework.
He often told me how unattractive I am.
The last birthday of mine I spent with my ex, he didn’t get me a card or a gift and he told it was because I didn’t deserve anything.
He told me that I was not allowed to have my dad come visit.
Once when we were visiting San Francisco and staying at a hotel, he threw my close out of the hotel room.
Once at a restaurant he called me trash because I ordered Mac/n/Cheese.
He told me that I forced him to marry me.
When ever I tried to object to his treatment of me, he told me I was just like my mother, that my life is hell. How ungrateful I am.
He once whispering in our son’s ear (but loud enough for me to hear). Come on, lets get away from this bitch. (As it turned out, this calling me names to our son became a regular thing.)
Once, my ex rubbed a lipstick all over my face.
He would often tell me that I was holding him back.
He threatened to divorce me if I didn’t have a baby.
When we were on vacation in Hawaii, my ex held his fist inches from my face when I was nursing our baby.
After tormenting me with belittling and name calling to the point I would start to cry, he would laughed at me.
He told me it was abusive of me to cry or be upset in front of our son.
Once when we were visiting his family in Oregon he threatened to leave me and our son in Oregon while flicking our son’s pj in my face.
He refused to go to therapy. (We did go twice to two different therapists but he refused to continue. The second therapist told me she didn’t think she could do anything for us anyway because she felt that he had a personality disorder.
He sabotaged my attempt to take our son to a therapist recommended by his pediatrician.
He became enraged; when I left the vacuum cleaner out, when I didn’t clean the shower door, when I left a hair dryer out, when I left the door open, when I turned up the radio up.
He trashed the living room and the bedroom more than once.
Once he made me get out of the car and walk with our son because he was crying in the car and bothering him.
He often enjoyed berating me for not going to college and once when I protested and said he had parents who helped him, he put his hands around my throat and choked me.
He threw the phone against the computer and breaking it and a nearby lamp.
He stayed out until very late then slept in while I was up alone with Jacob.
He told me he hated me and that he didn’t care if I lived or died.
When my mom and my grandma died, he said “You don’t look upset”.
He has physically assaulted two other women that I know of.
When our son was five/six and staying with my ex and his new girlfriend, Friday through Monday morning my son was not bathed or given a change of clothes. My son’s teachers told me that they were concerned that my son was coming back to school on Monday in the same clothes he was wearing on Friday.

I never had/had enough money to take care of our son properly. My ex-husband very actively worked to get my support reduced/taken away making it impossible for me to finish school and pay for our son’s care when we split up. Although I made very little money he lobbied the court to make childcare expenses 50/50. I also had/have primary care of our son during the work week making it difficult for me to be able to work the hours I needed to make enough money to support us. We have lived in a one bedroom apartment up until this year.

My ex-husband often has the expectation that our son should be like him. We have had many conversations about our son’s poor school performance. When I try to explain our son’s issues with ADHD it falls on deaf ears. My ex is constantly telling me that no one ever helped him in school and he got good grades. My ex-husband sabotages my attempts to create structure; contradicts my rules for our son. My ex-husband disrespectful behavior toward me; ridicule/yelling at me in front of our son; portrays me as incompetent in front of my son. My ex-husband simultaneously tells me that I nag our son and that I coddle him too much.

My ex-husband often blows up at my son and calls him names and tells him he is loser like his mother.

My ex-husband is emotionally abusive to our son by promising to get him things (example: He promised our son he would pay for him go to sleep-away-camp) but then refuses to give our son a straight answer as to if he is really going to pay for him to go.

My son has now started treating me the same my ex-husband way treated me. My ex-husband is fun parent who has no rules. My ex-husband vies for our son’s loyalty by making his home a fun place with no rules, leaving me responsible for homework/projects and any other parenting issues that he doesn’t want to have to deal with.

My son has learning to despise me from and is emulating my ex-husband in his expressions and his aggression.

I believe my son now sees me as helpless, down trodden and stupid. He has acquire the his fathers view of the me (and other women) as unworthy of respect and I believe he will see women as a legitimate target of abuse.

To date my son has moved out to live with his dad and he refuses to speak to me.

My heart is truly broken.

Apr 27 - 4PM
hope4me
hope4me's picture

dana's story

Hello Dana. I am glad you found this forum. I myself just joined and over the past few years have just began to see what NPD is and what these people are capable of. For years I just felt confused and hurt because of what was happening at home. In the public eye my ex was not sweet or attentive, just distant but noone thought anything of it. I had to finally go to his family last year and tell them about the 13 years of shit I put up with and they were all shocked. They had all called me a snob, a bitch, stuck up for many years. It wasn't until I explained what I went through that they apologized realizing I had shut myself off and withdrew because that's all I could do. This forum has helped me a lot and there is still so much I haven't read yet but I am learning more and understanding more every day. It is true that kowledge is power. I also hope your son will come home and realize what a good mother you are. I hate to think that these monsters poison the kids minds just so the cycle can continue. My prayers are with you.
Apr 27 - 4PM (Reply to #10)
Dana
Dana's picture

Dana's Story

Hi hope4me, You are extremely lucky that your former in-laws were able and willing to give you the validation you so very much need and deserve. My former in-laws won’t even speak to me although they are very aware of what went on. It is even harder when many of our friends told me that they would not “take sides” and wanted to remain friends with both of us. In fact I just got an email from my own dad that pretty much told me not to fight with my ex because it is bad for my son. WTF???? I emailed my dad back once again explaining the I am not fighting with my ex (as if I am somehow at fault in the ongoing drama/conflict/abuse.) I wish I could figure out how to make other people “GET IT”. Thank you for your good wishes for my little son. He has come home as of yesterday. So I am happy. Good vibes your way.
Apr 27 - 10AM
nhtmf
nhtmf's picture

Dana, I swear if you shaved

Dana, I swear if you shaved this guys head you'd find 666 inbedded on his scalp !!!!! Come and heal with us. You are welcomed with open and loving arms.
Apr 27 - 2PM (Reply to #8)
Dana
Dana's picture

Dana's Story

Thank you for your kind words. There is a lot of emotional isolation when having to deal with these people. On a very positive note, my son decided to come home and boy, is the N pissed. The ex sent me a scathing email about how he is trying to instill values and that apparently I am not. I think I am making some progress in that the N’s email didn’t upset me in the least and I did not respond. Then a just the morning he sent me another email telling me how I need to deal with my anger. - I have my boy back so right now all I am feeling is happy.
Apr 25 - 7PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Welcome Dana

Welcome... - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - YOU must go NO CONTACT on him immediately - there is a great post in the My Blog section on WHAT NO CONTACT MEANS - read it and follow it. Change phone & cell numbers if you have to. NO CONTACT!!! - Hire an attorney IMMEDIATELY to fight for your rights!! ASAP! - PLEASE read the stories of others. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do. Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. You did not choose him! YOU, as all of us, WERE A TARGET!! - PLEASE read through our whole blog: http://allabouthim.com - chock full of articles about Ns and healing in the future, please read the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim - Please remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD he's left you with. 18 months for starting to deprogram plus one continuous year of therapy is a must! ~~~~~~~~~ Moving Forward: Coaching for Victims Pathologicals Feelings buried alive never die. - Alice Miller
Apr 25 - 12PM
Introspection
Introspection's picture

Hi Dana,

The way this bustard treated you is unconscionable. I am glad that you decided to end it almost ten years ago and sorry that you still have to communicate with him because of your son; that must be awful. Are you currently in therapy? Seems that enduring years of this type treatment would affect anyone's self-esteem! Are you currently working? As clarification, your son is 11 or 12 years old, is this correct? If so, I would order him back home to be with you because he is obviously psychologically damaged and needs your help. You have to pull yourself together and be strong for the sake of your son. You have to realize that ALL of what he did to you...YOU DID NOT DESERVE. He is a sick person and you are not. I'm glad you found your way to this forum as many of us are victims of abusers such as your X. Read other poster's stories and you'll soon realize that we all share in similar treatment and see how each of us handled the situation a little different. Learn from those who are strong in conviction and wisdom and those who fell short of strength to let them go and move on. I've learned a lot from other posters and feel so much better today because I better understand why ill-minded individuals do what they do and that it has nothing to do with us and everything to do with them. Many (((HUGS))) to you sweetheart and start moving towards the mother you need to be for your son. Start moving towards the strong, independent woman that you are and shake- off any thoughts of being weak or incapable of reaching your goals in life. We are all here for you, keep us posted. Everytime you have a question, log-on and share. Everytime you have moments where you feel weak or just need to reach out of someone, log-on, we are just a few keystokes away.
Apr 25 - 11AM
missyjade
missyjade's picture

Dana's Story

My heart really goes out to you. I too was once an abused wife. I left after two years so although I endured some things, it is very limited to those who remained for a period of time. Please get into therapy as soon as you can.Although some of the abuse happened 24 years ago,( I literally fled from the relationship) I am just starting to deal with the PSTD now. I found a good local therapist who is certified in EMDR therapy. It hurt like crazy when I first started dealing with all of that old stuff but I feel better every day. My healing started about 13 years ago when he died in a car accident. I was free to get me back and that is what I am doing. You are definitely in my prayers. Be blessed.
Apr 25 - 1PM (Reply to #2)
Dana
Dana's picture

Dana's Story

Thank you for your kind words and support. My son is 11 and in middle school. I think many can relate to my list of some of the things my ex has said and done to me. I originally created this list to send to my ex’s therapist to explain why I think is useless and dangerous for me to engage in any kind of a dialogue. My ex’s therapist wants me to go into couples counseling which leads me to believe the therapist has his own agenda. I have been unemployed for the last year and the city of LA where I live is broke so social services have been cut to the bone. I’m not sure if order my son to come would be a good idea right now. He is extremely angry at me and will not even talk to me on the phone. I also know for sure that my ex will eventually blow up at my son and then just drop him off at my house with lots of drama. And the whole thing will start all over again. I have tried to have my son attend therapy but the ex always finds ways to sabotage it. I am very aware that I did nothing wrong and that I didn’t deserve what he did/is doing. The problem is the judicial system that keeps family’s like ours hostages with no escape. I think that whole “breaking the cycle” is a load of crap when we live in a society that doesn’t really support both men and women trying to break away and save ourselves and our children. I feel like I can not ever really move on with my life because I always have to be hyper vigilant and I am constantly having to d
Apr 25 - 2PM (Reply to #3)
Introspection
Introspection's picture

Any other alternatives....

I am at a disadvantage because I have no children but I do have lots of nephews and nieces and they are often around me. I've been around them while they were growing up and most are in their teenage years now. They are a little rebellious but at the age of 11, they are incapable of hating. They become disgruntled at times but soon get over it and they are back to their loving mode. It may be total ignorance on my part related to dealing with abused children so if I step out of line, please forgive me. If he were my child, I try over and over again to reach him. He is just a baby; his brain is not yet developed and this monster of a person is filling it up with garbage. Of course he doesn't hate you; he is most likely going through a phase. Who knows what the poor baby has to endure! Do you have any family that you may be able to reach out to for help? Perhaps a different option is moving to a different state where social services may be better able to assist? There has to be a way to get away from your x so that you can nurture your son.
Apr 25 - 2PM (Reply to #4)
Dana
Dana's picture

Dana's Story

Yes Introspection, I think you are entirely right in your assessment. I have been calling my son every few days to just say hi. He yells and tells me he doesn’t want to talk to me and then he hangs up. I had my dad call him this morning. My dad thinks that he is embarrassed at how out of hand things have gotten. I think right now I’m going to let my dad be the go between because I don’t think the ex will interfere that much. The ex thinks I have a bad relationship with my dad, which I think will work to my advantage. Thank you again. I can’t really talk to my friends about this. They just don’t understand even though I have tried and tired to get them to. My ex would kill me if he even thought I was trying to move away with my son. See, decent people such as yourself (who have experience with these non-humans) can not begin to really understand the dept of their depravity.