overhterainbow's story

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 6 - 6PM
overtherainbow
overtherainbow's picture

overhterainbow's story

I left my N ex four months ago and I spent two happy months without him grateful that I left. About two months ago, something happened an triggered the trauma that I went through with him -ie, I found out he is dating again. I don't know why it bothers me, or why I cannot control the behavior I have exhibited since, but while I don't want him back in clear thinking times, I can't stop thinking about him.

I met him online in a social site, not a dating one, but he came on me pretty strong. He was dating someone else, but she lived 14 hours away and he told me she had been too focused on her work and it wasn't working with them, because of the distance; they had just grown apart and had not acknowledged it. I could see some issues from the very beginning: he was talking with too much confidence about himself and his ability to attract women (although not so much confidence about him as a person if that makes sense), about his ex girlfriends and how much he had hurt them -and the one who hurt him supposedly -he could go on for hours about the 'standards' a woman needed to meet to show she could 'take care of' him... and at the same time, in his late twenties, he was a college dropout, he was in a part-time dead-end job after changing jobs so many times, and he was really not meeting any of 'my' standards, but he never really inquired into that -his only questions towards me were on the nature of 'how do you do your hair?' or 'do you mind if I have some extra weight'. What's worse was that while that behavior was turning me off big time and I was wondering 'what's wrong?' at the same time, he was showering me with attention, offering me small symbolic online gifts, telling me that I met all the standards etc. Within a couple of weeks, I was starting to warm up to him, because I spent all my time with him -and he knew how to show me a good time in that setting. His supposed confidence in his ability to attract women while at the same time feeling so non-confident over other stuff made me feel like taking care of him -and maybe he'd overcome it. And I was flattered in the end, that with such high standards to notice a woman, he noticed me.

We agreed to meet in person and he came over. When we met, I felt that he was really different in face-to-face interaction. I could not even recognize his voice. He was right on it again: 'would you like me to kiss you?... I felt not, and I took some time to explain to him later that if he wanted something from me, he should give me time to get used to his physical presence. He replied 'I am in love with my girlfriend and all you did was show me that I need attention, so I don't really want anything from you... unless you wanted to do whatever, but just for sex' -obviously NOT. We agreed to take a break, but when he went back, he kept chatting with me online and on voice like nothing had happened, called me on the first night on his trip back and kept calling every day, calling me baby etc. His behavior had changed though. He was becoming rude, closing off. Whenever I asked him what was wrong, he said I was crazy... until one day, a month later, he said he didn't like me in person, thought I was very unattractive and that's why he was acting that way. He said he was mad, because I had lied about my looks (which was untrue, he had seen many very recent pictures of me). I had no idea how to defend myself to that... and which of the two accusations? being unattractive? being a liar? He was talking to other women at the same time... and me, I was devastated, because I really enjoyed having him around -and he would not stick around without something more than friends. Later, he changed his motto from being a liar to just being insulting to him because by 'looking unattractive', I just disrespected him and his standards. Still not defending myself, rather complying to what he was saying. And then he'd have these days where he'd be like 'I just was mad at you, but you are attractive and I am still in love with you'.

At the same time, he started asking for money... started off with delivery food first, and went to more expensive gifts later... electronics, appliances, gadgets, car but also his bills etc. He would never ask, he'd just say 'I need this' and if I ignored his request, or told him I don't want to buy it, he'd be really nice and say 'okay, I understand, I just can't talk to you right now, so we'll catch up whenever'-and then I'd go and beg him to take that money or gift. While in the meantime, he made a point to go on the same emotional battering, which besides my body expanded in what he called a disturbed, manipulative, opportunistic personality... projection theories would have a party here, I know, but... I could not feel it... and I would apologize to him for being all these names he'd call me.

Two years of that passed. I had become this person who was always sad, very insecure, despite everything else going for me, waking up every morning with my first though on him, whether his mood would be okay that day... he made me afraid to call people, even my friends, on the phone, because if I called him and he didn't want to talk, he would close me off for days. I sounded like the crazy person.

Then, suddenly, out of nowhere and without me really doing anything except agreeing with him for once that 'yes, we probably can't work' instead of begging him, he said he wanted to change his behavior towards me, that he wanted us to work out and he was willing to put in the effort. and, despite some slips, he seemed like he was trying very hard and was making it most of the times -stopped even asking for money, except on a couple of $ on very extreme cases. Still, he had not really offered an apology over the past... and the slips always had to do with discussion about the past, in which he would bring in his old, outrageous, arguments... and while before I had been complacent, at that point, I could not really handle it and was getting angry. Very angry. He'd never see it, because he would hang up (and that was what was making me angry), but a friend saw me in a situation like that at some point and suggested that I go to therapy...

There I found out the pretty obvious to everybody else, that when a person had been abused like I had, just saying 'now I am going to treat you okay' without addressing and acknowledging the whole range of abusive behavior would not work. I realized that he had only admitted to the tiniest bit of what he had done and that he was still disputing the worse and larger part of it as his right. Also: that him acknowledging me as his girlfriend was something most relationship take for granted.. yet, he, had made me think that I'd be happy with just that.

In time, I got ready to leave him with much training and help from my therapist... The first time, I lasted one month and came back begging on my own, but he picked off where he had left (even a little better than before). The second time I left, he started begging me, telling me how he is working on all the other issues etc, and I went back again. At that point, he was really nice for a good five months. He was mostly patient, understanding, was more interested in talking about me, my life, everyday small stuff, and with much more genuine seeming interest than before. Yet, I still decided to leave him.. traumatic memories of the whole thing were coming up and I was not able to deal with them and he was not really willing to help -would just tell me 'it's in the past, I've been trying' and let go off it. So, I left him for the last time... I told him to not contact me and I kept that rule for a month, I wasn't picking up the phone, no matter how many times he called... I wasn't answering any messages... I stayed strong. When he did talk to me, he became apologetic, acknowledged everything he had done, took responsibility even for my own turned-obsessive behavior when it came to him, my jealousy, suspiciousness, etc. I remained firm it wouldn't work.

Two weeks after our last 'pleading' conversation, I find out, he is with someone else. I panicked, not sure why. I reached out to him, called him, he said he still was thinking of me, wished things had worked out... I found myself telling him I wanted him back, while I didn't, only for him to reject me, because he liked the new girl... and since then, I can't stop thinking about it, I know I dont want him back and I did the right thing leaving him... I just don't know why I am acting this way with the idea he is with someone else. A part of me feels sorry for the other woman who has no idea... and another part is jealous of her. Do I make any sense?

Apr 7 - 3PM
woundedsoul36
woundedsoul36's picture

Gosh...your story is almost

Gosh...your story is almost identical to mine.. I understand you perfectly
Apr 7 - 6AM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

welcome overtherainbow

Welcome... - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - PLEASE read the stories of others. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do. Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. - PLEASE read through our whole blog: http://allabouthim.com - chock full of articles about Ns and healing in the future, please read the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim - Please remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD he's left you with. ~~~~~~~~~ Repetition does not transform a lie into the truth. - Franklin D. Roosevelt Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals
Apr 6 - 9PM
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

Yes, You Do Make Sense!!

Yes, you make perfect sense to me!!! I've been there too!! Not everyone has taken a trip to Crazyland with a man, but those of us who HAVE ridden the roller coaster in CRAZY LAND, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND the terrible weirdness you have lived for the past 2 years. I lived in an insane situation with a similar dysfunctional man for 14 years. Got cancer from it in the 8th year. Sure he would start to play nice a little bit when he sensed he was going to lose me. But he always went right back to the abuse as soon as he thought he had me back where he wanted me. It's a terrible sick game they play. They don't change. Their brains are broken, for life. It's a personality disorder, known as Narcissistic Personality Disorder. They may also be full blown Psychopaths (meaning they lack "Empathy" for others, no conscience). The lying ("Gaslighting") is meant to drive you insane, so you end up questioning your recollection of how things happened in the past (yesterday, last week, last month, last year, etc). They lie, lie, lie, and they don't care how their lies affect you. They just lie because they can. Ultimately they want to pound you down mentally, and they want to be on top, and have the power in the relationship. To manipulate you however they want. For you to doubt yourself, feel afraid, confused, and be depressed, and just - give up, give in, and let them win. They want the power over you and try to get it through lies. They also love to 're-write' history/ how things happened (to make it your fault), and never take responsibility for the wrongs they did, or only the tiny tiniest little bit of responsibility. They hate to say sorry or admit they were wrong. They like to make you feel bad about yourself. It makes them feel good. They aren't normal. They are messed up. Their brains are broken. They can't get better, it's a permanent disorder, unfortunately. A very nasty disorder to try to live with an be in a relationship with. Please stay away from this Narcissistic Psychopath. It will only get worse and worse with him. He has gotten better at using you. He was being nice lately, to hook you and reel you in again. He sensed you were through with him, he decided to play nice for a while, to lay low and be a gentleman. So you dumped him anyway (WAY TO GO GIRL!!) and he found someone else, which has triggered some confusion in you. Ride it out, get through it (with your therapist's help and the support of this website), and come out the other side of this TEMPORARY desperate feeling of confusion, - and you will finally get to a place of PEACE. And peace is a great feeling!!! But you gotta stay away from him. This guy is always gonna make you crazy. He has thoroughly demonstrated he is a flaky, lost, selfish, self-centered, user, loser, and ABUSER. I don't think someone as rotten as he was acting, has changed. He only started to PLAY NICE for a while when he sensed he was losing his victim (YOU). So, he recently found a new victim....... THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS!!! Now stay away and don't resume contact once she kicks him to the curb and he starts sniffing around for you again (can you say STALKING? Oh yes, I can see him doing this to you once she leaves him and he wants you back but you reject him again). Be prepared for him to be a real pest for you once she dumps him and she gets a restraining order on him. He will definitely seek you back out as a tried and true easily manipulated victim. If nothing else, to borrow some more money!! Sorry to seem so harsh. The bottom line is, he showed his true colors to you at first. I don't believe he grew up and changed all that much in a few months of good behavior recently. I just don't think you can afford to risk any more of your future life on this very flaky, very manipulative lost soul abusive LOSER of a man. You can do so much better, with a truly nice, loving guy, who loves you for YOU on the INSIDE and outside. Move on, get busy living life, finding yourself, doing things to build your own self confidence (working out, yoga, get a hobby, what ever you need to do, to start to build confidence in yourself) and before you know it, you will be feeling perfectly peaceful and authentically happy in life, without any man at all - and it is typically then that you are best suited to discover a GOOD MAN when you see him, and begin a HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP that isn't built on angry feelings of betrayal, right from the get-go. Keep reading all you can, every day, around here - and you will become wise to the types of men out there that are predators and users (particularly those with Personality Disorders, including Narcissistic Personality Disorder - an incurable, life long personality disorder that destroys everyone who gets into a relationship with one of these very selfish, 'non-human' creatures!) - keep reading around here and soon you will be able to spot a harmful, negative, dysfunctional man much more easily, if you should ever encounter one again (oh and you will, there are so many out there). Hang in there and hang around here, we all lean on each other and trade advice and support to help one another on our journey to healing. God bless you!
Apr 7 - 2AM (Reply to #2)
overtherainbow
overtherainbow's picture

thanks foreverlearning... and no, you were not harsh

it is exactly what I know... and reading it from someone else helps a lot. I am sorry you had to go through that. I have been reading the stories here, it's astonishing how many people like them are out there... I guess it's hard to hear it cannot be cured. You spend so much time through this, thinking 'okay, so if I do x or z, he may get better, he may feel loved enough, he may be able to get some consciousness' -he is a psychopath, yes, I often felt he had absolutely no consciousness, no sympathy, no soul... the guy had 1 more woman smooching money off at the same time, convincing her it was her idea to 'take care' of him. And I remember the first time a friend told me 'he's abusive, you should read up on narcissistic behavior'... I knew for so long, and I am still having trouble convincing myself that he can't be cured, or that things are indeed this way, or even that I wasn't the narcissistic one -afterall, I am the one obsessing now because he is with someone else, he's moved on, he's 'healthy, happy and normal'. Part of me still finds it hard to believe he WAS always like that, and it's not some unrequited love story who made him that way... part of me still thinks that he actually may honestly care about this new woman, who is capable of what I could not do: making him love and behave like a normal human being. And it's not that I haven't seen his love stories even while dating him collapse... he hit on an acquaintance at some point, a very nice woman, who witheld the truth for me for a while to not hurt me. She had children and was already in an abusive relationship with another man, who was very harsh with her, so my ex's seduction worked miracles. He told her he loved her, that he'd rescue her, wrote poems for her, seriously mind-f*** with her. She still didn't know about me back then... when she found out and asked him about it, he told her that 'I am just friends with rainbow, but listen, I have been thinking... you are in need of a new husband and a father for your children and I can't stand the idea of raising someone else's children, so we should part our ways'. To this day though... he still blames me for things not ending in good terms with her, that he could have been friends with her. WHO DOES THAT?!?! He had lots of flings, but even if I wasn't mad for what he did to me, to try to mindf*** with a woman who had gone through so much... like her... that pisses me off even more. I will stick around, and will keep reading. At this point, his effects on my life are still on. I am getting myself busy, I am moving places, I am getting a new job and a new life and I am feeling optimistic that where I am next, he won't be able to have this kind of contact with me EVER again. I just hope I can find the strength and cut off all ties myself and never put myself out there as prey for him again.