Rinalda's story

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 21 - 7PM
Rinalda
Rinalda's picture

Rinalda's story

I got involved with a man at work (bad idea, I know). He initiated the relationship and worked hard to "get me." He remembered a lot of little things about me, did me favours without my asking, and paid a lot of attention.

Once it was clear I was interested, he slowly started reducing the frequency of interaction. I started to feel insecure and never seemed to have a say in things. He called the shots, controlling when and how often we e-mailed, saw each other, and had contact. He came around just enough to keep a connection with me but never let things get too intimate or close. I had some suspicions about other women from the first minute, but he denied any interest in anyone but me.

Despite feeling unhappy with these conditions, I cared about him and put up with the treatment. We spent a fair amount of time together and got to know each other well.

About five months in, I figured out that he had been starting to see someone else at work. When questioned, he got very aggressive and said he was offended that I'd asked him any such thing. I ended up feeling bad and actually apologized!
He tried to hide her from me, but I could see his behaviour changing. When I think back on that now, it stabs me.

My suspicions proved correct, and eventually I couldn't handle the stress of the deceptions, lies and the other woman herself (she was/is being obnoxious toward me and threw herself at him to get him) and so I broke it off.

In the break-up conversation, the man again denied any other liaison and got hostile. He scoffed at my statements and verbally attacked me. He tried to beat me to the punch by breaking it off with me first, too. But he also talked about staying friends, something that he said mattered a lot to him.

After it ended, he tried smoothing everything over with me, presumably so that no one at works perceived what had gone on and so that we could hang out like old times. He definitely doesn't want his co-workers thinking he's a jerk. A change in our common mode of interaction at work would expose him. He also did seem rather thrown by the fact that I ended things. He got used to having me around, I think.

I was downright hostile and rude to him for about a month after the break-up, but he didn't let up the pressure to "be nice". He kept trying to talk to me, essentially trying to bully me into engaging with him (?). He wasn't honouring my anger, and made me angry! I was shocked that he'd think I would just go back to being his friend again.

I was left to suffer and watch the other relationship go on, albeit "under wraps" as he tries to keep it hidden. He cornered me to talk things over and tried to convince me once again that he was not involved with her (swore it, got angry that I didn't believe it). I wouldn't buy it, and he went into the N temper tantrum, looking at me with contempt at work and giving me the silent treatment. Now he is back to softening me up.

When we first broke up, I felt a terrible combination of pain and anger. Now it's mostly pain. Wish I could get angrier. Thinking of the two of them together is terribly painful for me still. Here and there I have a wave of fury at the disrespect, betrayal, lies and conning....And then just as soon, the same things that make me angry (he ignored me on a certain day because SHE was around) break my heart when I think back.

I fear for my health. Other posts that I've made here show the daily stresses of working with them and the awful anxiety I am experiencing.

Mar 22 - 9PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

welcome Rinalda

Welcome... get into therapy with a TRAUMA COUNSELOR IMMEDIATELY!!!! - - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - PLEASE read the stories of others on SHARE YOUR STORY. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do! Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. It will also help you see the pattern of their INCURABLE PATHOLOGY. Your story is very very common. - PLEASE read through our whole blog: http://www.lisaescott.com/blog - chock full of articles about Ns and healing Please read all the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim Remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD he's left you with!! BLOCK HIS EMAILS, IMs and TEXTS change your phone & cell numbers NO CONTACT! AGAIN -- Get to a PTSD/ trauma counselor ASAP... Healing takes a MINIMUM of 18 months (with TOTAL NC) and you will need support & help from a professional. Please get it ASAP. Do not date before 18 months has passed! ~~~~~~~~~ The world is a dangerous place, not only because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein Visit My Info. Website for Abuse Victims
Mar 21 - 10PM
herlatestvictim
herlatestvictim's picture

I feel your pain!

We have very similar stories! However, I verified that my suspicions were true, about the other woman in my office, by hacking an email account. I confronted my N who still denied it! Said that "playing with her felt harmless." YEAH RIGHT. It killed me to see the other woman looking drunk on love, the way I used to be. This went on for a few months. Recently, the other woman got into our N's email and found the very recent love emails that my N has sent me. The more I ignore, the more "love" my N sends my way. Now she is in pain, missing work and looking like death. I am ashamed to admit it, but I am happy that she knows that she is not special. None of us are to the N. They will make up soon, of course she will take N back, and I will be back in tears at the sight of them laughing together again. We must remember, the N loves NO ONE. We are all interchangeable and disposable. THIS IS NOT A REFLECTION OF US OR OUR WORTH! This is a character flaw, a disorder, an evil that lives in the Narcissist!
Mar 22 - 8AM (Reply to #2)
The Girlfriend ...
The Girlfriend of Dr Jekyl's picture

The Office Romeo...Sounds Like My N/Psycho BF

You ladies wouldn't work with my Narcissist/Psychopath would you? Sounds like what HE does all day...cultivate relationships with the girls at work...emailing them...cheating on me with them.. I am pretty certain most of his OW have NO idea that he has a live in GF either...as he plays the office Romeo/Lothario/Casanova at work like it was his own personal playground...and better than a nightclub for hunting for his 'prey'. Your posts as office 'insiders' helped inform me of what he is really up to and what he is doing at work...this is exactly how he operates...real smooth. Anybody work at a call center for one of the largest Banks in the world here in the city where I am from? It would be amazing to find out who the OW is...here on this website... So you ignored him and didn't want to talk to him for a month?....SO THAT explains why he honeymooned me for a month recently...his office 'supply' wasn't giving him any attention and validation...so he always has his steady backup supply with me at home. Wonder if you gals know if your 'office Romeo' has a wife or live in GF?
Mar 31 - 11PM (Reply to #6)
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

Girlfriend

Are you still with your man??? i read your story and thought you were long gone! Hey Girlfriend, what's up??
Mar 22 - 9AM (Reply to #3)
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

The Office - # 1 Playground For A Narcissist

Because he has women around him 8 hours a day 5 days a week. It's an evil spoiled brat kid in a candy store! Lots of time to honeymoon the victims, wear them down emotionally, confuse them with mixed signals, lies and gaslighting, and cultivate jealousy when he chases other women there too. It's terrible and very painful for the victims, as we all know around here. Most of us had no idea what a Narcissist was, since we are normal and don't play these type of headgames. Therefore his tactics render us physically ill, anxious, and depressed, physically sick. Which is a blast for him to see us suffering over him. Makes him feel like God. Like a mean little kid holding a magnifying glass over an ant in the sun. He has the power, we feel the pain. ****************************** Rinalda I am truly sorry for all the for all the pain and suffering you are going through from your encounter with an evil, lying, gaslighting Narcissist. Keep reading every day here, for an hour or more every day, to learn all you can. It is the quickest way to detach from him, see him as the evil person he is, and move on with your life, hopefully to never fall victim to a jerk like him again. Hang in there and give it time, you will triumph over this situation and experience happiness in your life once again, once you are able to go 'No Contact' with him and begin healing. God bless you.
Mar 22 - 10AM (Reply to #4)
The Girlfriend ...
The Girlfriend of Dr Jekyl's picture

Rinalda

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to make sure you got it. Hope you are putting a boundary around you and communicating as little as possible with this guy! Protect yourself...believe me, they will only cause you hurt and heartache...no matter how charming they seem at first. here is what I posted to you on another thread: Mon, 03/22/2010 - 10:13 — The Girlfriend ... I must finally be going completely crazy, but you would be suprised how much my intuition is lit-up by your story. My Narc/Psycho BF is a player at work...the office is his personal 'playground'...and your story sounds like his Modis Operandi... Sad you have been hurt and experienceing this hell he has put you through. You are wise to ignore him...this will drive him to distraction and is the only way to protect yourself from his using you and charming you when he needs some 'supply'...because it is depriving him of all the attention and validation he can get from everybody...especially YOU! ...another way is to post his name and M.O. on a website like 'dontdatehimgirl.com'... This would give other gals a heads up in case they are interested in him and happen to google his name... Boy Rinalda! I cannot tell you how much I wonder if the guy you are talking about at your work is MY Narc/Psycho BF. Interesting enough a gal called our home (about 2 months or so ago) with a last name similar to your nicname here, asking for my BF by his first name, and seemed very suprised to learn he has a GF...(probably tells people I am just a roommate when he gets caught) hmmmmm wouldn't it be weird!..what a way to find out who one of the OW was...via this website...what are the chances? Probably just me going crazy and imagining things...and wondering. BTW...many of these Office Romeo's are married or living with a GF/Fiancee...mine is!...I hate him for all the hurt he causes me & everyone...He seems like such a 'Prince Charming'...and he is truly one of the most destructive beings I have EVER met.!
Mar 22 - 2PM (Reply to #5)
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

And you plan to kick him to the curb WHEN???????

Better get kicking Mama!!! And, wear steel toed boots while your at it!!!