katiebird's story

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jan 8 - 2PM
katiebird
katiebird's picture

katiebird's story

It was a wonderful thing to find this site. I know now that I am not crazy, and I am not alone. Here is my story:

I met my N online, and we began to email and then talk on the phone. He was charming, intelligent, everything my soon to be ex-husband was not.
After my divorce, he flew out to see me, (we lived 2000 miles apart), and it was on this first trip I began to realize something was wrong. He drank too much. He was angry alot of the time. He was NOT the man I emailed and talked to on the phone. Still, I hung in there and we kept in contact. He flew out a month later and on the first night I KNEW the same old things were wrong, but it had escalated. Everything had to be his way, and if I chose an activity, he found some way to ruin it. By the third night, I was ready to take him back to the airport and leave his sorry ass behind.
When he did leave, at the end of the week, I began to slowly get a life of my own and ease off on the contact with him. He called constantly...before work, during work, after work, even at two in the morning. The conversations ended with him saying, "Go away" and then "fuck off." I told him someday I will go away and he would tell me he was teasing me, and I should grow up.
I had a successful fine art career before I met him, but he began to believe he was "directing" my career. He belittled my acomplishments and awards. He wanted me to open doors for him in the local art scene and I refused.
He began to call me names...dumbass, stupid...and attack me on the phone till I cried.
I cut off contact. He crawled back with apologies. This went on and on until I finally stopped answering any emails, texts, and phone calls. He left me alone for two months, and then started again. I told him to LEAVE ME ALONE and he told me to fuck off. I didn't hear another peep till Xmas. I did not answer the email or acknowlege the card he sent.
This past week I disposed of every single letter, card, photo, email, everything that I could find that reminded me of him. I felt better with every torn-up letter and photo. He is history.

The whole thing, from the day we met till the last contact from him at Xmas, lasted one and a half years. He denied the verbal abuse. He blamed it on me. He complained of medical issues, (emphysema and arthritis), when I would cut back on the phone calls. He made me feel as though I was in the eye of a hurricane and when I stopped all contact, the peace that I felt was overwhelming. He was/is crazy. I was simply one more in a long line of women he mistreated. How do I know this? He even wrote his "memoirs" and gave it to me to read. All the women in his past were crazy, never him.
My god, I am so thankful to be free of this man.
I am so thankful to have found this site, and realize that I am NOT the one who was crazy.

Jan 9 - 4PM
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

Thank You For Sharing Your Story

Thank you for sharing your story. I learn something new with everyone's experience. I am so glad you are rid of that Life-Long, Never Changing, Abusive, Hateful, Psychopathic, Predator, Bully, Loser. Peace beats crazy every time!!!!! Peace is so nice. I know what you mean about the peace in the eye of the hurricane. Getting out is so worth it. And congratulations on throwing out the cards letters etc. That was always a tough one for me, I am a pack rat at heart so hats off on that one! God bless and thanks again.
Jan 8 - 4PM
cynthia (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

sorry you had to experience that...

He sounds like a real nut case, I hope you told him to fuck off and go away. On line dating is a big NO NO, cupid.com turns into nightmare.com just too risky. I am sorry you had to be exposed to such an ill mannered disturbed person, of course you are not the crazy one, he was and a stalker at that, hope he never bothers you again. You can be so thankful it never developed into anything like a living arrangement with him, you were one of the lucky ones as you read on this site, you escaped and I do hope with minimal damage that you can recover and move on from the horrible experience.
Jan 8 - 5PM (Reply to #2)
katiebird
katiebird's picture

Thank you , Cynthia. I wake

Thank you , Cynthia. I wake up every morning thankful that he is 2000 miles away. I wonder how I fell for all his crap, but I was somewhat naive about men. I had been married for 31 years, and this was a first for me. All I can say is NO CONTACT and STICK TO IT. It gave me peace, it gave me the strength to walk away from this freak forever.
Jan 8 - 5PM (Reply to #3)
cynthia (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I know

we are all naive when it comes to predators, I never imagined people like this existed let alone be the victim of one. Yes he is far away and you can take comfort in that. You are very very fortunate indeed in that respect. You would not believe the hell they put their partners through when they want it to end, they stalk and it can become quite dangerous when you are dealing with someone that is disordered. I was spared that too mine lives 3 hours away any distance between us is fine by me. Stay away and never come near me again you are nothing but a weirdo and freak. Change your number if you have to and never respond to this sick human being. You will recover and you will heal but it wont happen overnight if you have too much difficulty you might invest in a counselor to help you sort out the experience, you were the victim of a predator and many times that requires professional help, its a traumatic experience but with the proper help and support victims can recover. xo
Jan 8 - 7PM (Reply to #4)
4joys4
4joys4's picture

katie

You'll find similar stories here. Mine was a little different. We met online, then phone calls, then visits. He was perfect. Everything I wanted in a man. He was caring, kind, funny. Attended to me and understood me. But he was a con man. Others here have heard my story. Three days after the wedding his true self came out. He went into rages. He was a dry drunk. Don't ask me how he hid so much! He cheated left and right. Created drama, lied. In the end it turned physical. Very emotionally abusive. They come in different forms but there are lots of similarities too. I'm glad you found us.