serene69's story

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jan 4 - 4AM
serene69
serene69's picture

serene69's story

Hi. I've just spent 6 months 'involved' with an N. I could tell all the time it wasn't quite right but like many others, would overlook when he didn't respond to texts or emails and would focus on when he was so lovely. I am determined to be NC now though.

He decided to dump me just before xmas, saying he wanted to give everything up (he's a workaholic) and wanted to spend time at home for a while as he didn't want to end up back in rehab. He wasn't angry, just straight. He also said as I had had a bad year it was the right thing (divorce, my father also died.)

The preceeding weeks he had been in a bad mood most of the time when we were in contact (we rarely saw each other) but kept in touch email/text. I was kind of getting frustrated anyway with the situation but was still upset when he ended it. I gave him a book I had got ages before, did cry a little and then left.

Two hours later he texted me saying thank you for the gorgeous book and said sorry for the evening as he was 'in a state of turmoil.' He then followed that up with saying he was damaged, had no empathy and cared about nothing, and that is was not fair to involve anyone in this madness, this sickness. He was sorry but us breaking up was for the best and we would be much better friends.

The next day I emailed him saying I hoped things would get better for him and I had enjoyed our good times. Then that evening he sent me a text asking if I was coming down to where he DJed!! I replied well no, as I was upset. No response.

I did not realise he was an N at that point and the next day texted him saying if he ever needed to talk to anyone then I was there as a friend. Again no response.

I was getting angry now - and after xmas sent him a text saying he was the one who wanted to be friends and why was he ignoring me! He replied 'It's fine.'

Well I foolishly also sent him a merry xmas email - no response. Then I came across N and realised it is totally him!
Thing is though, his declaring to me he has no empathy etc - does that mean he is really struggling with it as he seems aware what he is like. And surely then he must care about some things if he says it is the best thing for us to break up? Or was this all a big charade?

Also, the day of my father's funeral he emailed me to say good luck with the day, and it was his support that got me through it all. Was that all part of his game too?
I know as well he has not given everything up and is still working as usual.

3 days ago he texted me to ask a question about some friends of ours who were organising a party for him. I did reply but just straight, but I am determined now to stay away.
It must have been a test as he could have asked them. He was never physically abusive with me, but could be very curt, and would put me down.

I certainly don't want to get back with him but his behaviour seems odd. At times he was totally so normal - neither grandeous or depressed - like it took him over at times. I laugh now already though at some of his behaviour - especially his addiction to facebook. He was always posting what he was up to - and sometimes sounded quite freaky as if he was going mad. And he is in his 40s! Sometimes too i would get quite bizarre emails. I did think he was on drugs.
It's been 4 days now with no contact. But I am doing well, and this message board has helped so much!

Jan 4 - 8AM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Welcome Bex

Welcome... get into therapy with a TRAUMA COUNSELOR IMMEDIATELY - call a DV Center if you need to get an advocate ASAP to get this man completely out of your life - NOW - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - PLEASE read the stories of others on SHARE YOUR STORY. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do! Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. It will also help you see the pattern of their INCURABLE PATHOLOGY. Your story is very very common. - PLEASE read through our whole blog: http://www.lisaescott.com/blog - chock full of articles about Ns and healing THANK YOU reading the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim Remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD he's left you with!! BLOCK HIS EMAILS, IMs and TEXTS change your phone & cell numbers NO CONTACT! Get to a PTSD/ trauma counselor ASAP... Healing takes a MINIMUM of 18 months (with TOTAL NC) and you will need support & help from a professional. Do not date BEFORE THAT TIME. Please get help ASAP. ~~~~~~~~~ The truth will set you free... but first it will piss you off - Gloria Steinem Visit My Abuse Website
Jan 4 - 7AM
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

There's No Telling What Goes On In Their Brain

Your story sounds so similar to something that happened to me. Sadly there is no explaining or making sense of it all. The bottom line is how he made you feel - confused, mad, sad. You have to avoid that hot mess at all costs, for your own sanity! You could spend years trying to figure it all out, and never really make any progress. I like to think actions speak louder than words. Their words are usually a bunch of bullcrap. But their actions (being curt, not responding to you, etc, etc) - that shows ALOT. Love is patient and kind - not confusing, painful, mixed messages that drive you mad. And CERTAINLY NOT saying mean hurtful things to you! Keep reading all the information around here to gain knowledge, and find peace in this journey of learning, which is what our life really is - a journey of learning, and helping others learn too - so we can all find peace. God bless!
Jan 4 - 8AM (Reply to #2)
serene69
serene69's picture

Thanks for your comments. I

Thanks for your comments. I am feeling pretty strong at the moment which is good and when i read about what Ns are like, it was like a black cloud was lifted from me. I see everything so differently now. I realise all the things he told me about his past, his rich family, his achievements, his athletic prowess are all in fact lies. I had started to think many things were strange anyway. I pity him, but not because I care for him. I pity him as he was obviously jealous of me and he knows he will never have what I have. I am good looking, clever with a good job, a good family and friends around me and I am ambitious in all the areas that he in fact would like to be good in. Well my way to get revenge is to run the marathons he claimed he could do (one of the reasons we met was our 'supposed' shared interest in sport) I am going to make the films he claimed he would always do (as I said I wanted to do) and I will have a fun and filled life. He does nothing except work work work and post on facebook. His looks are going, he is getting fat so he will have more problems getting the women he craves as he is now approaching 42. I am already indifferent to him and ready to face 2010 with the confidence to do great things.