better off's story

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jul 26 - 11PM
admin
admin's picture

better off's story

Okay, so I was involved with a narcissist... the classic, charming type. We were 'soulmates', then we weren't. Just to be clear to those of you have been cheated on, I don't think affairs are okay or anything... something I thought I would never ever do... but after 15 years of emotional abuse from my alcoholic husband, I was ripe for one. And Mr (N) Perfect sure seemed like the answer...

The sad thing is I see now how he took complete advantage of how vulnerable I was. The happy thing is he really changed my life for the better overall, because he gave me love and hope and I started to stand up to my H... it hurt when he broke my heart, but I was not going back to the way life was, either.

So I've wondered if my H is a N or not... my counselor and I have briefly discussed borderline maybe instead... I don't know they kind of run together. The reason I didn't think of H as a N... is because he isn't the confident charmer, etc, he didn't sweep me off my feet. BUT... he IS fake. And after reading a lot of stuff on the Narcissists Suck blog... about the family tyrant and the Mob Family, etc. I am inclined to think he's just a different type of narcissist.

Looking at his family, they are super controlling, and I'd have to say his dad is a narcissist. There is only one way...their way. They can't tolerate any individuality. They are like a mob family! My husband can be nice acting sometimes, but he has no empathy for me. I think he sees me as an extension of him.

When my family got wiped out in Katrina he told me not to let that stuff bother me. He refused to talk about it or offer any comfort. When I was recently diagnosed with ADD and depression, he just got mad. When I try to talk with him about it he gets mad. He told me he can't handle my problems. He's mostly concerned about how much my medication costs. It really bothers him that we are spending money on medicine for me. Meanwhile he's a fricking hypochondriac. It really IS all about HIM.

He is also a real Jekyll/Hyde type. It seems like a lot of N's talked about are just assholes all the time, he just switches back and forth. Everyone else "out there" thinks he's the nicest guy in the world. Women have frequently told me over the years "you're so lucky!!!" which has always made me want to scream.

I won't go on and on. I came here to get over the intense relationship I had with the textbook N... the one I can't resist, but I think I need to start working on what to do about the one that I can't stand!! And his oppressive family.. that tells you every day how much they love you (as long as you do as you're told) and then they screw you over.

Dec 15 - 12PM
Qing Yuan
Qing Yuan's picture

Dear better off.. did you

Dear better off.. did you mean your family were killed??? I am devastated for you on just that one line and he told you what? 'not to let that stuff bother you???' Thats is very scary and deeply unsettling. How cold can these N's be??? Sadly these guys do see any type of illness or mental difficulty as a weakness. The weakness they deny in themselves usually. In there minds they are super human or at least they are terrified of dealing with there mortality ket alone someone else's issues... I have heard that line about how they cant handle your problems million times in my own life. I would say that the less you are healthy and well, which is likely to manifest from being around this person the more he will come to deplete your energy and he will despise that weakness in you. its a self perpetuating cycle of destruction. And believe me, most of the chaps we ladies are all talking about in here, really are definitely not 'all evil' all of the time. My N can cook me food, clean my house, take care of his boy and tell me how he as done x and y on top, to help me while I was resting... I will think I have got him all wrong before BAM... he drops it on you and you feel even more shell shocked because you have been lulled back into a false sense of security... My N has even bought me really expensive items that he knows are things I could never imagine owning in all my life... such a piano that I wanted all my life. My friends and my family and his family especially think he is very kind and supportive. They fail to see how draining the tossing and frowing can be... Thats what gives them the power to control you. Because you hang on to the hope that they are really that lovely kind person they present and that you are the crazy one who or even the one that can support them to be the happiest side of themselves. But as far as I can see these guys just don't have the capacity to be 'authentic'... I have no idea if it is a defect form birth, a major stressful event in there lives or a dysfunctional childhood -period... But they have 'blackholes' in there brains or more over under developed emotional brains. This is most likely due to the left side of the brain having to over compensate somewhere along the line but I think it means that these guys are way beyond change and they can only equate the times of kindness to securing there own needs which is you... a source of secure constant attention.. So the nice guy/nasty guy has nothing to do with that he has a nice side really, its just a process that they must go through to secure your attention. Its cut and dried yes... but I think its pretty accurate... And if he has learnt that people only say I love you.. if you 'behave' then no wonder he is treating you in the same way. Its crazy what will trigger these N's... God bless you and find help. Get therapy or counseling or something because those meds will only take you so far in your own head but they wont stop him messing with your head and no meds can help you with that.. Its brain chemistry, the more he robs you of your energy and steals your serotonin with induced stress the more you need 'fake chemicals' .. meds, to top you up, but ultimately your body needs you functioning by your self, free of drugs and free of this draining dangerous relationship to flourish and fly. I know this too and thats why we have to get free of the pain and learn to love ourselves most of all. You can do it.. we all can... x Be strong and find some proper help from somehwere... V x
Nov 21 - 6AM
Ellen
Ellen's picture

Hi betteroff

Hi betteroff, Can you tell us a bit about the story of how you met etc etc and the things that happened during the relationship that brought you here. Ta
Nov 24 - 5PM (Reply to #2)
better off
better off's picture

I hesitate to go into it

Dec 14 - 4PM (Reply to #3)
Ellen
Ellen's picture

still waiting

Well i came to have a read and there isn't a story really so can't really say much.